Tuesday, February 28, 2012

who doesn't love sangria?

This weekend while having some friends and their adorable 1 year old over I made my favorite sangria recipe. Sangria is one of those things that always makes me happy. It makes me feel like it's a warm summer day and I'm sitting outside, relaxing in the sun. It brings me back to my honeymoon in Spain. In case you can't tell, I love sangria.

Here's the recipe that I use - it's a combination of a few sangria recipes that I've played around with a bit - it's potent and definitely doesn't taste that way :) This recipe makes a large pitcher of sangria - invite some friends over and drink the night, or day, away...

Red Wine Sangria
2 bottles of red wine  (it doesn't, and shouldn't, be an expensive wine. Get something decent to drink, but not over $10.  to be traditional, use rioja - a spanish red wine - if you don't have rioja go for any red wine you like)
1 cup brandy
1 cup triple sec
1 - 1 1/2 cups of simple syrup (combine equal parts water and sugar in a small sauce pan and heat up until the sugar dissolves. cool completely)
2 cups juice (I use either a pomegrante - blueberry juice blend or orange/peach/mango juice from tropicana)
slices of orange, grapefruit, apple, strawberries, blackberries, pomegranate seeds, pineapple pieces, etc - any fruit you like

Combine all of the ingredients in a large pitcher, stirring well to combine. Refrigerate overnight.


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE SANGRIA!!!!! Hopefully we will have some on the 17th :-) Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I can't wait to try this recipe. Mike has unsuccessfully been trying to make Sangria. I'm going to try your sauce recipe too. Mike will be so grateful to you if I learn to cook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Let me know how you like it. It's definitly a no fail sangria recipe :)

      Delete