Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I heart samples

I love samples. They are some of my favorite things.  While I love going to Costco, the lines you have to wait in to get a sample chicken taquito are a bit frustrating.  So imagine my happiness when I went to a Bed Bath and Beyond that had a new foods market offering loads of samples with no lines.  One of the things that we sampled was a roasted red pepper soup made by Pacific Natural Foods.  It was amazing. Make Steve get his own sample and taste it amazing.  Walk back there when a new person was working the sample station and get a second sample amazing.

When we got home I decided to try to make it myself.  It's something I do a lot - eat something somewhere and then try to recreate it at home.  Fun, yes. Cheaper than buying it out, yes. A win win.  At BBB I scanned the ingredients list and figured the soup couldn't be too hard.  The ingredients were roasted red red peppers, tomatoes, and a few other things.  After picking up red peppers to roast, I set to making the soup.  Here's my first attempt at posting a recipe:

Ingredients
6 red peppers, 2 chopped and keep 4 whole 
1 medium size onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (or more if you like)
3 cups chopped tomatoes (I had fresh and used them, otherwise use one can diced tomatoes)
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 can tomato paste
2 carrots, chopped
2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup cream (I used a fat-free cream to attempt to be healthy...although I don't really get how that's made)


Steps
Roast 4 of the bell peppers.  I broiled them because we have an electric stove, but you can also hold them over an open flame, turning them with tongs. Once the peppers are black and blistered all over, put them in a large bowl and cover them with plastic wrap.  Wait about 10 minutes or until the blackened skin peels easily from the peppers. Do not rinse them under water. If a little black stays on the peppers thats fine.

In a dutch oven or large pot sauté the onion, 2 chopped red peppers and 2 chopped carrots until tender.  Add the chopped roasted red peppers and garlic and continue to sauté.  Add salt (more than you think it needs) and pepper.  Add the chopped tomatoes. 

Add the tomato paste and sauté for about 5-7 minutes. Add the sugar and stir through.  Then add the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring it up to a boil and then simmer for about 1/2 hour (but it really can go for longer).  Turn off the heat and add the cream. 

Puree the soup until its completely smooth.  Taste the soup - it might need more salt...thats never a problem.  




It tasted very close to the Pacific Natural Foods soup..Just not as sweet, which I don't think is a bad thing. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment